Monday, November 5, 2007

Motorcycle accident

Leah again. Well It happened. I know some of you had bets going.
Friday drew and I where heading out to the local lake near by for some much needed rest time. I was going to drive us there to get my feet wet in driving the motorcycle. As Drew got on the back the bike became unbalanced. I asked him to get off so I could turn the wheel a degree over to get it strait. Suddenly I leaned on the gas to shift, hitting the gas control in the handle. (We where still in my street which is walled on both sides, not on the open road) The bike slammed forward into the wall. I tried reaching for the handle brake but the bike hit me into the wall. The only thing I knew to do was to turn the bike, which was spinning on down the street. It hit a cement flower bed and fell over, spilling me into the street under it. I hurt all over, but I could wiggle every toe and finger. A good sign! All my neighbors came running out into the street. I looked up through my helmet and saw all these nut brown faces jabbering in Thai at me. I was so grateful in that moment for these people. If Drew had not been there they would have gotten me help right away! Drew got me up and they all helped me walk home and get the beck up out of the gutter. They even wanted to take me to the hospital on the back of another motorcycle! Yeah right.... But it was the kindness of these people that meant the most to me. God was so good. Kathy Hayes came right over and helped me clean up and got me to the hospital to check me out. I was so thankful for her and Drew. They kept me smiling through the pain. All of me checked out fine! Just lots of bruises and some road rash. But I am so thankful to God! Even after it happened, I knew that he was in control of it. He had kept me safe. What a blessing that I remembered to wear my jean jacket and pants! When I checked my cloths and my helmet, there was not a scratch, or bump or tear. God literally let me fall without my head hitting a thing. That is a miracle.
I had no control of the bike. And yet God had it all. I am at peace with this and I will get back on that bike again! God is so good!

4 comments:

Sharon Eilers said...

Hey, Leah,
My name is Sharon Eilers - college friend of Andrew's - so you'll have no idea who I am! : ) Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're okay after the "spill". I had no idea you guys were in Thailand until just a few days ago. That's great! Even though you don't know me, I figured everyone likes to get responses on their blogs...so there you go! :) Tell Andy hello.

Anonymous said...

Leah!
Oh no!

We didn't have bets going here when we read you guys got a motorcycle, we were excited for you!
The kids had fun imagining you both riding one!

Glad you are OK, and thanks for all the updates! I love reading them!

Barb

Anonymous said...

"What a blessing that I remembered to wear my... pants"

these things are tough to remember. hhehehe.

i am SO glad you are ok!

ya know, only you would live to tell about a motorcycle accident. :D love you lots! please stay safe! and praying for youuu.

jenny bo benny

Anonymous said...

You write very well.